74795
Turgaus a. 21, LT-87122 Telšiai • Tel./ fax 370 444 53010,
mob. 370 618 63448, e-mail: turizmocentras@telsiai.lt , www.telsiaitic.lt
 




Churches

TELŠIAI CATHEDRAL OF ST. ANTHONY FROM PADUA Nuotraukos aut. A.Žebrauskas

Katedros a. 2, Telšiai

It was built in 1765. Its style is late baroque and classicism. In the church there are 7 altars, 2 of them central. The central altar of the second floor is dedicated to one of the greatest saints of Franciscans – St. Anthony. The picture of St. Anthony is considered as miraculous. In the crypts of the cathedral there were buried 3 bishops of Telšiai: J. Staugaitis, V. Borisevičius, and P.Ramanauskas.

THE LITTLE CHURCH (CHUR OF HOLY MAID MARY’S ASSUMPTION)

Šviesos st. 2, Telšiai

Founded in 1536 by the king Žygimantas I. The old wooden parish church has burnt several times and has been rebuilt. In 1864 the Russians in the place of the former church started to build the stone orthodox church. In 1935 the building was returned and immediately reconstructed and adjusted to the catholic churchy ceremonies. Currently in the churchTelšių stačiatikių šv. Mikalojaus cerkvė (nuotraukos aut. A. Žebrauskas) you can see the old pictures, 3 nice altars.

TELŠIAI ORTHODOX CHURCH OF
ST. NICOLAUS

Žalgirio st. 8, Telšiai
Tel. +370 444 51578

Telšiai orthodox St. Nicolaus church was built in 1937 according the project of V. Kapylov on one of Telšiai hills, where in XIX century there was a windmill. This is one of the most wonderful, the only one example of cubism architecture in Lithuania. In the church you will see a nice oaky hand made altar, created in the middle of XIX century. The larger part of the prayer – books, icons, crosses, other items of sacral purpose have remained from the XIX century.

MARTYRDOM CHAPEL

Kančios koplyčia (nuotraukos aut. A. Žebrauskas)Rainiai, Viešvėnai subdistrict, Telšiai district
Tel. +370 444 70282

In the beginning of World War 2 in 1941, night from 24 June to 25 June the bolsheviks took 76 political prisoners from the former Telšiai prison to the Rainiai grove and brutally killed them.

When the second soviet occupation has started the unfinished chapel has been destroyed, the Rainiai grove has been cut out. The aim was to make people forget the awful tragedy and its perpetrators. Nevertheless, the suffering of Rainiai victims did not fade in the people‘s memory.

According the sketches of J. Virak the project of the chapel has been made by the chief architect of Telšiai district A. Žebrauskas. It was decided to erect the chapel in Rainiai, because there was no more room in the Telšiai cemetery.

Rainiai Martyrdom chapel has been sanctificated in 1991 commemorating the 50th anniversary of the martyrs slaughter. It perpetuated the memory of all victims of the soviet terror. The ceiling of the chapel are decorated with frescoes (author A. Kmieliauskas), where there are portrayed the Rainiai martyrs. The windows are decorated with the stained glass, portraying the suffering (author A. Dovydėnas).

In the chapel nearby the grove, where the political martyrs were tortured to death, has been erected a cross.Nuotraukos aut. T.Lekavičius

VARNIAI CATHEDRAL – CHURCH
OF ST. PETER AND PAUL

M. Valančius st. 4, Varniai, Telšiai district
Tel./fax +370 444 47455

The building was founded by the XVII century most famous dynasty‘s representative of the Great Duchy of Lithuania, Samogitian bishop Kazimieras Pacas. The cathedral is an example of the mature Lithuanian baroque architecture. It contains plenty of interior art monuments: 12 altars, a galery of Samogitian bishops portrets, the great altar and statues, made by the Königsberg master, majestic and unique organ of the XIX century. The Varniai Cathedral is some kind of pantheon, because in its Bishops‘ crypt there were buried 10 Samogitian bishops.

THE HILL OF LASSES – “PANŲ KALNAS”

Pasruojės village, Gadūnavas sub district, Telšiai district

In the wood, near the main road Telšiai-Seda, at about the 10th kilometre stands a cross that indicates a path; if you take the path, you will find the Hill of Lasses – “Panų kalnas”, also named “Mergakalnis” (a historic and mythological place, listed in the register of Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Lithuania on 23rd of December, 1996).

The Hill of Lasses is the place famous for its legends, overgrown with pine trees, surrounded with marshlands. In our days Mass is celebrated on the Hill of Lasses. The worshippers visit the hill, leave large and tiny crosses around the chapel. People also leave there their worries, speak out their wishes, they feel spiritually stronger after visiting the hill.




KĘSTAIČIAI CHURCH DEFENSE

There was first massive samogitians resistance against the Russian desire to turn the Catholic Church into an Ortodox Church. Now there is a cross in the place of the former church, and next to it - a nice hill of crosses. 

Vaizdo rezultatas pagal užklausą „kęstaičių bažnyčia“


Copyright © 2010 Žemaitijos turizmo informacijos centras adm zone.