SAMOGITIAN MUSEUM “ALKA”
Muziejaus st. 31, Telšiai
Tel. (8 444) 70282, 70160
Hours of attendance:
Wednesday – Saturday – 9.00 – 17.00
Sunday – 10 – 17.00
Established in 1932 by the society of ancient Samogitians’ fans ALKA. Currently it is a famous museum of Samogitia, which has accumulated over 62 thousand showpieces, 70 thousand pieces of estates’ archive, 12 thousand books scientific library and 15 thousand negatives.
In the museum there are exhibited the pictures of the world renown artists – L. Kranach, A. Karacci, F. K. Fabro, J.B. Lampio and other, also original works of Lithuanian painters - P. Smuglevičius, V. Slendzinskis, K. Ruseckas, M. Kulieša, J. Oleškevičius, A.Valeška, T.Valius, V. Valius, J. Bagdonas, J. Vienožinskis. In addition to art, there are stored sculptures, furniture of Renaissance, baroque, classicism style, tapestry of XVIII – XIX centuries, valuable ancient printings, photographs, archeology (accumulated material from the stone age camps, settlements and cemeteries), rich ethnographic heritage – agriculture, crafts, items of everyday appliance, especially original are the collections of paddles, sticks, distaffs, towel – horses and ancient Samogitian fabrics. The exceptional place take the blacksmith art items – little suns of crosses and chapels. It is collected especially valuable old collection of wooden sculptures.
In the museum there also take place educational exercises, are organized afternoon events, concerts, events, dedicated to the commemoration of the national and renowned people anniversaries.
SAMOGITIAN VILLAGE MUSEUM
Malūno st. 5, Telšiai
Cell phone: +370 601 92417
Samogitian village museum opened its doors to the visitors in 1983. In the museum which occupies 7,5 ha area along the coast of Mastis lake currently there are 16 authentic buildings belonging to the end of XIX – the beginning of XX centuries that have been divided into 3 homesteads and a public sector. The museum exhibition is set in these sections of the homesteads: in the rich farmer’s grange (the interior of the living building with household appliance items); barn (with corresponding lodgments’ equipment); in the poor farmer’s grange (living house equipment and furnishing); mediocre peasant’s grange (there is set a topical exhibition “Way of the flax”). In addition the visitors of the museum can get acquainted with the wind mill, smithery, threshing barn and the equipment of these buildings. In the exhibitions set in the buildings there are exhibited the household appliances of that time, farm implements, furniture. In the museum there take place folk art feasts, international folklore festivals, works Klojimo (Barn) theatre.
A. JONUŠO SAMOGITIAN, JAPANESE, CHINESE
HOMESTEAD – MUSEUM
Muziejaus st. 88, Telšiai
Cell phone: +370 674 19308
Jeweller – artist A. Jonušas has created the little island of the rising sun country – Samogitian– Japanese-Chinese homestead – museum. Here the visitors can see the model of the oldest in the world Horiuji pagoda temple, the copy of the No theatre Okame mask, the scenic images of kabuki, Japanese theatre. A tea drinking cabin at the foot of the Fuji mountain, Buddha Amida, St. Monk sculptures and the other symbols of the ancient Japanese culture.
In the former hunters’ cabin there are set exhibitions for the guerrillas of the God’s Armchair forest.
Upon the customers’ request it is possible to visit the Japanese room as well, to get acquainted with the artistic processing of the amber.
SAMOGITIANS’ DIOCESE MUSEUM
S. Daukanto st. 6, Varniai, Telšiai district
Tel./fax: +370 444 47455, cell phone: +370 687 20198
The Samogitians’ Diocese museum has been established in 1999 in the late baroque building, the former palace of Varniai Samogitian seminary of priests, built in 1770 by the efforts of bishop Jonas Dominykas Lopacinskis. The Samogitians’ Diocese museum introduces one of two dioceses that have existed in Lithuania in since the XV till the beginning of XX centuries – Samogitians’ (Medininkai) diocese, which centre for almost 450 years was Varniai, it took a special role in the religious, cultural, and political life of Lithuania and left a bright trace in the history of the land. In the museum premise it is situated the Tourism information centre.
J. ANDRIUSEVIČIUS’S MUSEUM IN GAULĖNAI
Gaulėnai village, Upyna sub district, Telšiai district
Cell phone: +370 682 49806
It is a museum with the regional studies nature, situated in Gaulėnai elementary school. There is exhibited an archeological material since the most earliest times (Neolithic age) and the later historic material of Šatrija, Gaulėnai, Maudžiorai, Luokė vicinity. The historic exhibition reaches the times up till the years of Lithuanian Resurgence, declaration of independence in 1990 and these days. In the museum there are collected the exhibition items, illustrating the serfdom period in Samogitia. Also there are abundant sets of ethnographic household appliance items and ancient craftsmen’ tools.
VIEKŠNALIAI MUSEUM OF REGIONAL STUDIES
Viekšnaliai village, Luokė sub district, Telšiai district
Tel. +370 444 67735
There has been collected over 1000 exhibition items of the rural household appliance from the surrounding villages that are exhibited in the 4 rooms. In 2001 the museum has been restocked with the new exhibition items by Lithuanian J. Kojelis, who lives in the U.S.A. In his honor there was made a corner.
THE FIRST SCHOOL OF TELŠIAI TOWN
Kalno st. 1/Katedros a. 3, Telšiai
Here in 1798 has had worked the old school of Telšiai town. In 1793 at the Bernadine monastery there was established a three – grade school, for which in the period of 1795 – 1798 this building was built. At school it was taught in Jewish and Polish languages.
Later the school was expanded to 6 grades and legally equated to a gymnasium. The pupils of this school actively participated in the uprising of 1831; therefore in 1832 the tsarist administration closed the school. In the years of Lithuanian independence it was the elementary school. Different schools used to establish here till 1944.
Iždinės st. 11, Telšiai
Telšiai yeshivah, as a higher rabbinic school, was established in 1873 by rabbi Gaon Leizer Gordon. Telšiai yeshivah in XIX century was acknowledged as one of the biggest in the world, there have had improved the practicing rabbis from England, the U.S.A., Uruguay, SAR, Hungary and other countries. In the yashivah there have had studied up to 500 rabbis at a time. Telšiai at that time has been known in the world as a spiritual centre of Jews. In 1927 – 1933 there were built the new yeshivah buildings. At the Telšiai yeshiva there was a religious gymnasium of girls and a seminary of teachers. After the Bolshevik occupation of Lithuania in 1940 the Telšiai yeshivah was closed, its pupils were distributed to 5 five little towns and the buildings were transferred to the other institutions.
BIRŽUVĖNAI ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM
Biržuvėnai village, Luokė sub district, Telšiai district
Cell phone: +370 651 23657
In 1996 at Biržuvėnai manor masters‘ house was established the ethnograpic museum. The founders of the museum are sisters Laima and Aldona Simonavičiūtės. After the 2004 fire part of exhibitors was salvaged and placed in Biržuvėnai school. In summer of 2005 the ethnographic museum was reestablished. The most important exhibitions in it are as follows: iconography, culture, education, ethnography, folk art, fragments from Lithuanian history, vilages‘ history, noblemen Gorskiai in Biržuvėnai, textile, numismatics, exile, resistance, old press, soviet period, photos of the treasures, found after the fire.